Sunday, December 12, 2010

How About A Walk?

Today has been a pretty quiet day here at the hospital which in our circumstance is a good thing. Jim has gone for two short walks around the unit today so far and I'm hoping to get him up one or two more times before bedtime.

They have decreased the amount of fluid that they are infusing and have disconnected the suction through his NG tube several times. The doctors want to keep the NG tube in for the rest of today and will re=address it tomorrow for possible discontinuation. If the NG tube is removed I think that I will have a much happier and comfortable husband. He is a little "puffier" today in his abdomen secondary to his bowel being so lethargic. The doctors are going to try a couple different strategies for "waking" up his bowels this afternoon and hopefully Jim will have some discomfort eliminated.

They have allowed him to begin drinking water and it has stayed down. No other food or drink has been introduced yet at this time. His nausea has also subsided a great deal which is fantastic!

His labs and blood sugars continue to remain stable. His creatinine has decreased to 2.6 today which is down from yesterday. His blood sugars have been anywhere from 115-140 which are normal. He is continuing to receive breathing treatments which are helping him cough up some very colorful substances (thank goodness I work in healthcare and I like colorful substances). His blood pressure is beginning to come down as well with a new regimen of medications. I know that I may be a little bias since I work for Baylor but I have to give them credit, they have taken my input with different medications and timing of them to help lower his blood pressure. It really helps you not feel so helpless when they listen.

I ask for prayers for Jim that he will feel the Lord's presence and your love throughout this process. I think that the feeling ill is starting to damper his spirits. He has endured so many things over the last 2 years that I think he is getting to point that he just wants to feel better. This day is soon approaching however to him I think it feels as though it is moving in slow motion. Jim has been such a solid model of endurance and strength that I don't want him to become discouraged or frustrated with his progress.

Prayers Requests: strength, blood pressure continues to remain normal, bowels wake up, and swelling decreases

Bible Verse: “The LORD is my strength and my defense ; he has become my salvation. He is my God, and I will praise him, my father’s God, and I will exalt him." Exodus 15:2

No comments:

Post a Comment